Looking for easy? I have you covered! These Slow Cooked Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls were our Sunday dinner tonight!! I had to share them with you ASAP! I was at a baby shower for my sweet cousin today and I knew I would get home right before dinner time so I figured instead of rushing around trying to get something cooked up, it would be the PERFECT day to use my slow cooker! I was right! This was DELICIOUS! The boys even loved the rice, beans and chicken combo, but Lord help me if I could get them to eat a green pepper with out spitting it back out. 🙂 Ages 2 and 4, I will just pick my battles – they ate most of it though! AND Basili and I both have lunches for tomorrow! BONUS!!
The next time I make this, I am going to cook the quinoa separately and add it to the slow cooker – it will help speed up the process a bit so that is how I am going to write up the recipe.
You can add more or less quinoa and beans to the mix – or even corn if you don’t do beans! Just make sure you are counting your yellows accordingly!
Serve in a lettuce wrap or just eat out of the bowl – it is good both ways! I topped mine with a little shredded cheese, avocado slices and some cilantro. Mix in a dollop of plain Greek Yogurt and some salsa! 🙂 YUM!
If you like your food SPICY – add some diced green chilis or jalapenos for some extra heat!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 (14.5oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 (32oz) carton low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can no salt added/low sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 bag frozen pepper and onion mixed veggies
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 can diced green chilis or diced jalapeno (optional if you like it hot!!)
- Green onions, sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salsa (no sugar added)
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, add oil and seasonings
- Add tomatoes and 1-2 cups broth
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Cook quinoa according to directions in chicken broth (for added flavor!)
- Once quinoa is cooked, add in the rinsed black beans and stir to combine.
- Add bag of frozen veggies and quinoa/bean mix to the slow cooker, mix well.
- Shred chicken with fork, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes more.
- Top with cheese and green onions, cover and cook until cheese is melted.
- 1/2 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 spoon
- If you are following the Fix to a T, I would suggest portioning out YOUR meal with the rice and beans PRIOR to mixing it with the chicken and peppers. Shred the chicken, measure that in your red container and serve it over your quinoa and beans mix. Top with your choice of toppings. Avocado - 1/4 = 1 blue SO, if you want cheese also, split your blue between the two! 🙂