Hey there, dear friends!
I can’t believe how long it has been since I last posted – life happens, right?! It has been a crazy year. New job, kids in school, trying to balance a healthy lifestyle, being a wife and mama, a coach and working full time is NOT easy. BUT, it is doable! It just takes some planning and meal prepping on the weekends. By prepping meals ahead of time, washing and cutting veggies and having some quick grab and go snacks ready – you can WIN the week!
This weekend, I tried a new recipe with some ground turkey I was planning for meatballs. It was cold here – the weather was overcast and rainy – the boys were having a PJ day and comfort food sounded amazing! Enter meatloaf. So, I changed gears and whipped up this Savory Zucchini Turkey Meatloaf. Basili took a bite and said “IS THIS NEW? YUM, I love it. Blog this”. haha! And our 5 year old (yes, that happened, when did he get so big?!) cleared his plate! There is nothing like getting your kid to eat veggies and feeling like mom of the year…even if just for a moment. So here I am – sharing it with all of you!
This was VERY simple to throw together – the ‘hardest’ part was grating the zucchini. 🙂 I mixed up all of the ingredients in a gallon size ziplock because I *hate* touching ground meat when I don’t have to. After it was thoroughly mixed, I pressed it into a loaf pan and popped it in the oven. I whipped up a quick sauce to top it off, baked it a little longer and served with some new potatoes or sweet potatoes and broccolini. YUM!! Just what the doctor ordered!
The sauce I made is the same sauce I used in my Turkey Mozzarella Meatloaf Muffins recipe (which is also delicious and kid approved! You should try it!).
Another great thing about this meal is leftovers! (If you have any!) This meal will reheat well for a couple days after you make it. For lunches, I will usually pack leftovers from the night before for myself and B – makes things SUPER easy. It will also freeze well, too – so you can make it ahead of time as a freezer meal – just allot time for it to thaw before putting it in the oven.
Pin it, try it, love it, share it! 🙂
Have a great night, friends!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 large should do the trick!)
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free quick oats
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp parsley, dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Raw Honey
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In gallon size ziplock (or large bowl), add all ingredients (except the sauce ingredients), seal the bag and mix well until combined
- Press the meat mixture into a loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour
- In small bowl, whisk sauce ingredients together. Remove meatloaf from oven, spread mixture over the loaf and return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- 1/6 of the loaf is 1 Red, 1/4 (or so) Green, 1 sweetener spoon, 1/6 Yellow (if you want to get technical)