I LOVE artichokes and tomato soup has a special place in my heart on a cold day – so when I saw my teammate, Melissa Hedden, posted this recipe for a Fixed Up Tomato Artichoke Soup, I knew I would have to give it a shot (and made a special trip to the store to grab the ingredients!) Be sure to check out her page – she is an awesome coach with a positive attitude – and delicious recipe ideas!
As the soup was simmering, the aroma of the Italian spices filled our kitchen. I could not wait to give this a try! This was a very simple soup recipe – it was ready to cook away in just minutes – just chop up your onion and the rest is easy peasy. After you remove the bay leaves, use an immersion blender (if you don’t have one, go out and get one!! They are awesome and makes soups so much easier!) to blend all the ingredients together to make your soup into soup! 🙂
Here is (a newer version) of the immersion blender I have – http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed/dp/B00ARQVM5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452976641&sr=8-1&keywords=conair+cuisinart+smart+stick. You don’t need anything super fancy – this one is $30 and works great!
Ok, back to the soup – when you are done blending, you can incorporate the Parmesan cheese and mix until melted OR you can serve up the soup in your bowl and measure out the cheese in your blue container and then add it so you know exactly how much is in there – this is what I did – worked great! 🙂
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5oz) jar or can artichokes
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 (14.5oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14.5oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk - (I added this to make it a little creamier!)
- Parmesan cheese
- Croutons (Optional - make your own or buy whole wheat/no sugar added)
- In a medium soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and onion until onions are translucent, then add artichokes, bay leaves and water. Turn to high heat for about 2 minutes and add oregano, basil, sea salt, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15 mins. *Add Parmesan till incorporated. Remove bay leaves.
- Blend with immersion blender until smooth.
- Optional: Add a few croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan for serving.
- I added my cheese after putting it in the bowl so I could control the amount.
- 1 1/2 Green, 1/2 Spoon, 1/2-1 Blue (depending on how much you use)
- Serving size - 1 1/2 cups