It is a snowy day here and the boys and I got inside right before B got home – I was ready for a hot meal! Whenever I think of White Chicken Chili, it reminds me of when I was growing up and we would come in from skiing for lunch at our favorite restaurant at the base of the mountain. My dad would always order the White Chicken Chili – something about it sounded really good today, so I decided to make some! This Healthy White Chicken Chili soup was delicious – next time I make it, I will not be adding the Cayenne pepper (or maybe just not as much??) – on Basili’s request – because it was a little spicy for his liking. I am on day 16 of The Master’s Hammer and Chisel and spicy is right up my alley!
Let me tell you, this recipe was SO easy. I cubed up the chicken, grabbed a bag of already chopped onions (from my meal prep day on Sunday), added the spices and opened some cans – that was really it! I threw it all together and set my stove to low heat to let the soup simmer, got the boys dressed up in their snow gear and went outside to go play in the snow! When we got in, the soup was smelling DELICIOUS! 🙂 Oh, and my parents both dropped by tonight for a quick visit, so I had them try it as well, it got a big thumbs up from both of them (cayenne pepper and all) 🙂
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (if you like spicy - adjust up or down according to your tastes!)
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilis, drained
- 2 (14.5oz) cans white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- In soup pot, over medium high heat, brown chicken in oil with onions, garlic and spices.
- Stir in chilis, beans and broth, bring to a boil and then reduced heat and let simmer for 15-30 minutes.
- Ladle your portion into a bowl and mix in half a blue of cheese and top with the rest, garnish with some Plain Greek Yogurt and Cilantro - optional.
- 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1/4 Green, 1 Blue