I was tempted to NOT tell my husband what these ‘bread sticks’ were made from until AFTER he tried it, but he caught me cutting up cauliflower and kind of looked at me with a side eye and walked away. I told him to trust me and that if it was terrible, we wouldn’t speak of this again. WELL, let me tell you – he asks for this on the regular now! So, whenever I have some cauliflower on hand and we are looking for a fun snack for a family movie night or a big game, this is my go-to!
I riced the cauliflower florets in my Ninja blender/food processor, baked the ‘rice’ and squeezed out all of the excess liquid when it was done – careful! This will be hot (duh) and make sure you get as much of the liquid out as you can!
Mix together the ingredients and on a parchment lined pan, press the mixture into a rectangle ‘pizza crust’ and bake!
Top evenly with the remaining cheese and bake/broil until golden brown! I said 8 servings for this recipe, but cut your 1/8th of the bread into your desired size bread sticks and enjoy!
I made my own marinara sauce for dipping out of crushed tomatoes, red wine, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and some tomato sauce. It was delicious – just combine those ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often. You can also use any sugar free marinara sauce – the fewer ingredients on the label, the BETTER!
- 1 large head cauliflower, 4 cups riced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella/colby jack cheese, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Marinara sauce, for dipping (no sugar added)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Rinse cauliflower and cut into florets. Place in food processor and pulse until cauliflower is the texture of rice.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cooked cauliflower into a paper towel-lined bowl. Squeeze the excess liquid from the cauliflower. Repeat a few times until most of the liquid is gone.
- Increase oven temp to 450 F.
- Combine cauliflower, eggs, 1 cup cheese, garlic and seasonings in a mixing bowl.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the mixture, flattening it into a rectangle. About 1/4" thick.
- Bake for 18 minutes, remove from oven and top evenly with 1 cup of cheese. Bake 5 more minutes and then broil until cheese is light golden brown.
- Slice into 8 even pieces, cut down each serving to desired 'bread stick' size.
- Serve with a side of no-sugar added marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- 8 servings: 1 blue, 1/2 green, 1/2 red