Add this to your meal plan, RIGHT NOW! This Turkey Sausage Cauliflower Casserole is husband AND picky kid approved!!! I shall nick-name it sausage pizza casserole! It was delicious! Oh, and I am sure you already know it is 21 Day Fix approved AND uses NO YELLOW CONTAINERS!!!
I started by cutting up the cauliflower and throwing it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. While that was boiling, I de-cased the turkey sausage (gross) and started browning that – diced up the onions and added them in with the seasonings. Throw in some tomatoes, cook a bit longer, mix EVERYTHING together. I transferred this to a baking dish (which has since bit the dust! We got it right after our wedding and it had a big crack in it after we made this recipe…RIP baking dish, I will miss you) Anyway back on track! I popped the dish in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes, then I topped the casserole evenly with Mozzarella and stuck it back in until it was golden brown and bubbly.
YUM! Be sure to pin this recipe for later use and share it with your friends!
- 4 cups small cauliflower florets (1 large head)
- 1 T EVOO (olive oil)
- 16 oz Turkey Sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 (14 oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the florets with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown for 8-10 minutes. Break into small pieces. Stir in onion, garlic, oregano, thyme. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stir regularly.
- Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in cauliflower. Transfer mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove dish and top evenly with shredded cheese and bake an additional 5 -7 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly (use broiler if needed)
- Garnish with parsley for serving.
- 1/4 of the pan = 1 red, 2 green, 1 blue, 1 tsp