Ok, I GET IT! You hear cabbage and think, ‘Next’. GIVE THIS ONE A SHOT! It is really good!! I told Basili (my husband) we were having Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls and he kind of scoffed at the idea of cabbage rolls and told me he would order a pizza if he didn’t like them. Challenge accepted. He tried it and proceeded to have a second bowl! I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed them too! Even Noah, our 1 year old, was asking for more!
What I like even more than the taste was that this recipe was SO simple! It is a one-skillet meal and was really quick! I did prepare some brown rice for Basili, so that required a separate small pot. 🙂 I topped this dish with some cheese and BOOM, dinner.
Based on a readers comments, I made this recipe again and reduced the amount of salt I added to the dish – it was even MORE delicious because I didn’t feel like I had consumed a bunch of sodium afterwards. I went ahead and adjusted the salt amount down to 1/2 teaspoon. As always, season to YOUR liking. 🙂
This one is a winner, for sure!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 large or 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- In a 12" skillet, brown beef on medium high heat. Stir in chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent and beef is cooked through. Drain and discard grease. Add cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 30 minutes. Simmer until cabbage is tender.
- Top with cheese after plating to control the amount of cheese you are eating.
- Serve over brown rice, topped with cheese.
- 1 Red, 1 Green for 1 1/2 cups + 1 blue for cheese (depending on how much you use)
- Optional - 1 yellow for brown rice