It’s a MIRACLE – Basili (my husband) fell in love with a slow cooker chicken dish! YES. You read that correctly. He went back for seconds of this Slow Cooked Zesty Zucchini Chicken and took the left over portion with him to work today. He said it even was good as left overs. PICK ME UP OF THE FLOOR, PLEASE. Normally, he would scowl at the thought of eating slow cooked chicken, let alone taking it with him for lunch the next day. I would say we have a winner!
This dish was very simple to put together. Chicken, chop up veggies, season and go. Look how colorful it is! Something has GOT to be good if it is this colorful – my typical rule of thumb.
I received this recipe from one of my coaches and friend, Lindsay Ohmer. She sent this to me to use in our slow cooker 5 days of clean eating week we are currently hosting through our team. I am so happy she did – this will become a staple in our home! 🙂 I put my own little touch on it and I can’t wait to make it again!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, except for the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours) or until chicken is cooked through.
- Plate your chicken and immediately top with 1/4 cup cheese (you can put the cheese over top of the chicken while it is still in the slow cooker in the last 20 minutes of cooking, however, it is easier to measure when you top it after plating.)
- Serve over spaghetti squash, whole grain pasta or brown rice.
- 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue