This Slow Cooked Red Wine Pot Roast a holiday staple in our home. My Aunt Debbie sent me this recipe a few years ago and we absolutely LOVE it. I love cooking with wine – the smell of it reminds me of my grandmothers home when we would go for dinner. AH, isn’t it cool how we relate the delicious smells of a home cooked meal to great memories? I did not adapt this one too much because the original is so wonderful – I did simplify it a little bit though and HAD to make sure I have it in my recipe catalog because it is a must-have at Christmas (and upon request from ‘The Greek’ himself).
Each year, we invite my side of the family over a couple nights before Christmas for dinner. This is what I have served for the last few years and it is a hit each time!I thoroughly enjoy cooking for my family, especially when it is super simple! I started browning the meat before my family woke up and had it in the slow cooker by the time Basili left for work. The house was already smelling like Christmas when he left for the day and I could see his mouth watering! 🙂 I usually serve this roast with a side of seasoned roasted potatoes and asparagus. 2 BIG thumbs up from the entire family on this one! A perfect recipe for a cool Autumn day, as well!
I have on here that it serves 8 people – this fed 6 adults and a child last year and there were leftovers.
- 4.5 lbs Beef Round Top Round Roast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups baby carrots (1 bag)
- 1 lb frozen pearl onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine (I go with whatever is on hand that I enjoy, Cabernet, Merlot or Shiraz)
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Pat beef dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper
- In a 12" skillet, heat oil and add beef. Brown each side of the roast, about 10 minutes, transfer meat to slow cooker
- While beef browns, place carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Add onions, garlic and thyme to the same skillet. Cook until golden and stir often, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook 3 minutes more. Stir and scrape the browned bits. Pour over the meat in the slow cooker
- Add tomatoes over top and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 10 hours
- Transfer beef to serving platter and slice meat across the grain. Arrange with carrots and onions.
- Pour cooking liquid over roast
- Garnish with fresh parsley
- 1 red, 1 green - measure out the meat and veggies in your containers