Let me just put this out there – I LOVE my slow cooker! Yes. There is nothing like taking a few minutes in the morning to throw together dinner, pop it in the slow cooker and let it cook away. No muss, no fuss. I get to enjoy some quiet time in the afternoon and when the boys woke up from their naps, its nice to not have to think about dinner!
These healthy slow cooked steak fajitas are 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme approved and they are AMAZING! If you are on the Countdown to Competition plan, you can still enjoy this meal, just don’t add the optional toppings. I usually enjoy mine in lettuce wraps and my husband and boys love theirs in a tortilla – either way, they are delicious! I top mine in lettuce wraps with some Sriracha (hello spicy!!) I make Basili’s in a whole wheat tortilla with some no sugar added salsa and cheese.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! A healthy, hearty meal that is full of flavor is sometimes just what the doctor ordered!
- 1 ½ lbs flank or flat iron steak, preferably grass fed
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 T liquid aminos (I use Braggs)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4– 5 bell peppers, any color
- 1 yellow or red onion large
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, coriander, sea salt and pepper
- Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the steak and place it in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the liquid aminos over top
- Top the steak with the diced jalapeno and minced garlic. Slice the bell peppers and onion and add them to the slow cooker
- Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5 – 6 hours or until the steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
- Drain the meat and peppers well and serve
- Make a clean Fajita bar! Whole wheat tortillas, lettuce leaves for wraps, plain Greek Yogurt, no sugar added salsa, hot sauce, avocado and shredded cheese.
- Heat up a skillet. Brown a whole wheat tortilla, flip and fill half of it with the fajita steak and peppers, top with cheese and fold over until cheese is melted and tortilla crisps up. (Fajita-dilla!!)
- 1 1/2 cups= 1 Red, 1 Green (measure meat in red container and veggies in green container if possible - this will ensure the highest level of accuracy!) If you add toppings, count accordingly and make sure you don't go over on your blue containers!