When I think of Beef Stew, I think of a warm, cozy house full of the wonderful smells of a simmering stew full of hearty ingredients – a fire in the fireplace and snow falling outside. I also think of Basili’s Uncle Jim who makes a mean Beef Stew! Basili has asked me several times over the years to make beef stew – but trying to live up to the ‘Uncle Jim Stew’, well, that was a little intimidating! But you know what? I decided to jump in and give it a shot! Mom recently sent me a recipe that she was planning to make for my grandparents and it sounded amazing! I knew I wanted to make it according to the nutrition guide, allowing me to stay on track with my nutrition and health goals. So, VOILA! Fixed Up Beef Barley Stew got the ‘green light’ for the blog from Basili and I loved it too! The next day, it was REALLY good. 🙂
This stew was SUPER simple – I browned the meat with the onions – DON’T skip this step! It locks in those juices and really brings out the flavors! Plus, your house will smell amazing and your spouse will be peeking around the corner asking what you are making – or at least B was…just do it. 🙂 Then add in the rest of the ingredients and stir occasionally. Side note – I browned the meat IN the soup pot I used – less to clean up – I truly dislike scrubbing pots and pans – so when I see an opportunity to use one less pan, I TAKE IT! 🙂
This would be a great soup to make in your slow cooker, too! I did it on the stove top due to my indecisiveness on what to cook for our Sunday night dinner! (haha!) If you make this in your slow cooker, I would still recommend browning the beef with the onions and garlic and then adding everything to the slow cooker – set to low for about 8 hours. 🙂 Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lb lean round stew meat
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 5-6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (uncooked)
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over high heat (or in large skillet if you plan to use your slow cooker). Brown beef in oil and add diced onions, garlic and sea salt/pepper, to taste, for about 10 minutes or until beef is browned on all sides and onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients to your soup pot and bring soup to a simmer and reduced temperature to low and cover. Cook until beef and carrots are fork tender - about 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- *Optional (and I may try this next time, though it was still really good cooked with the barley the whole time): With 45 minutes remaining, add barley to the stew and bring to a simmer, cook until barley is tender.
- I would still recommend browning the beef with the onions and garlic.
- Add all ingredients (except barley) to the slow cooker - set to low for about 7 hours.
- Add barley and let simmer an hour longer until barley is tender.
- 1 serving (1 1/2 cups) - 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow