So my husband has ALWAYS been big on getting Chinese take out and HATES that I don’t enjoy partaking too. Of course, I LOVE the food, but I always blow up like a hot air balloon afterwards because of all of the sodium that goes into the food – and well, the whole ‘after’ experience is just not something that is high on my to do list. He sent me a message the other day with a recipe for General Tso’s chicken that was healthy and made a few modifications to suit our tastes – though, I should have left off the Sriracha because Basili was breathing fire the rest of the night (hahahahah) he doesn’t do well with spicy foods, but I love them! ANYWAY, I will be using less next time I make this and just adjust as needed – if you like your meal a little spicier, use the full 2T of Sriracha, if not, you can use less – or sub in some tomato paste! My Fixed Up General Tso’s Chicken was a winner and will absolutely be happening next time B gets a craving for some take out! Now I just need to get some of those super cute take out boxes!
Freshly chopped ginger smells amazing – pro tip – throw some in a water pitcher with some mint leaves and cucumber for a delicious infused water!
While the chicken was baking and the sauce was simmering, I threw some brown rice the microwave and a bag of frozen stir fry veggies into a skillet (shhhhh, don’t tell, it’s my little secret – they are easy and delicious!!)
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 1/2 T paprika
- 1 tsp fresh Ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (I used Bragg's)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 T sesame oil
- 2 T Sriracha OR 2 T Tomato paste if you don't like spicy!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Sesame seeds
- Green Onions, sliced
- Brown Rice
- Bag of frozen stir fry veggies
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix flour, garlic powder, onion powder in paprika in a gallon size bag.
- Dip chicken strips into egg white, shake off excess and put in bag. Shake to coat. (this makes it quicker!)
- Place coated chicken strips on parchment lined baking sheet and bake chicken for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, combine remaining ingredients into a small sauce pain over medium heat, bring to a light simmer. Mix cornstarch with 1 tsp water and mix into the sauce, stirring occasionally until it thickens, about 5 minutes (add more corn starch to thicken it up).
- Mix cooked chicken into the sauce and serve over brown rice and stir fry veggies.
- 1 Red, 1 tsp, 1 1/2 sweetener tsp (maple syrup)
- *If you want, you can count may 1/4 Yellow BUT, you will not use the entire 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour - it should only be a LIGHT coating. You also will not use all of the liquid egg whiles, so I didn't count that either.
- Next time I make this, I will go lighter on the Sriracha - Basili is not a spicy kind of guy, he just kept telling me it was really good but his mouth was on fire (I couldn't stop laughing!!) As always, adjust the seasonings to your liking! 🙂
This was so delicious. I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Is there a substitution for the aminos?
The Liquid Aminos are in place of soy sauce – much less sodium and it is vegan. 🙂