Hi everyone! Wow! What a week away! We just got back from a trip to Florida and let’s just say this mama is TIRED today! I just started another round of the 21 Day Fix today so I knew I wanted something that was going to be Fix approved and SIMPLE for me to make tonight – simple is always good! I went with this 21 Day Fix Chicken Cacciatore one skillet meal and it definitely got the thumbs up for the blog from Basili! The boys ate it too! I feel like I KNOW I have struck gold when Basili walks in and takes a deep inhale in and says “WOW!! It smells amazing in here!!”. (thank you red wine!!!) Music to my ears. Shhhhh!! Don’t tell him how easy it is!
This meal was truly very simple and the clean up was a breeze! I served each chicken breast over sauted zoodles (zucchini noodles) and topped each with some fresh basil and Parmesan.
I hope your family enjoys this as much as we did!
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 6-8 thin sliced chicken breasts (around 2 pounds)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine (I used a Shiraz Cabernet blend)
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 T oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tsp capers (optional)
- 4 zucchini (for zoodles)
- Parmesan cheese, shredded (for serving
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken breasts in skillet and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Brown chicken on both sides and remove from skillet.
- Add green pepper and onion slices to pan and saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add red wine to deglaze the pan. Cook for 7 minutes or so until the red wine is reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes, capers and seasonings, mix well and simmer for a few minutes. Add chicken back into pan and cover, reduce heat and let simmer about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, make your zoodles or angel hair. Saute lightly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken over a bed of zoodles and top with 1/2 cup sauce, Parmesan cheese and some fresh basil.
- 1 Red, 1 1/2 Green (depending on the amount of zoodles and sauce you eat), 1 tsp, 1 blue (depending on how much Parmesan you use)