A few Asian inspired dishes have been happening in our home this week and they have been delicious! We used to love grabbing take out, but afterwards, my stomach would be super upset, in knots and just not a whole lot of fun. There is a TON of sodium and MSG that does not mesh well with my body and I definitely end up paying for it! TMI? Maybe, but I know lots of people can probably relate. ANYWAY, why not bring the taste of the far east to our kitchen? Absolutely!
These turkey quinoa Asian-style meatballs were delicious! I received this recipe from my good friend and coach on my team, Lindsay Ohmer! Check out her page and be sure to follow her! She is a super awesome friend, coach, wife and mommy to an adorable 1 year old little girl! AND she always finds delicious recipes for me to change it up a bit in our home and she is a huge inspiration and motivator to many! 🙂
The original recipe called for Sriracha – but I omitted that because my husband is not a fan of the super spicy. I added some to my plate after serving – still awesome! This recipe was very simple to make – a little messy, but meatballs are ALWAYS worth getting your hands dirty. 🙂 The sauce that goes with these was also very good – add a little sriracha in there if you like it spicy! I made some brown rice and roasted some broccoli to serve with the meatballs and it was the perfect meal – 10 times better than any take out AND I felt very satisfied and discomfort free afterwards! I topped this with some sesame seeds and sliced green onions for serving. Oh – and the boys loved it too!
Add this to your meal plan for the week – enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 T liquid aminos
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Sea Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for garnish
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 T raw honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or to taste - I left this out because B doesn't like spicy and added it to mine!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, cooked quinoa, garlic, onions, egg, aminos, sesame oil salt/pepper/oregano. Mix well.
- Form meat mixture into meatballs and place on parchment lined baking sheet - about 20 meatballs.
- Bake meatballs for 17-20 minutes until cooked through and slightly browned.
- While the meatballs are baking, in a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the sauce ingredients PLUS 1/2 cup water.
- In a small dish, mix the 2 tsp cornstarch with 1 T water and then stir into the sauce and cook about 2 more minutes until thickened.
- Serve meatballs over brown rice with roast broccoli with 2 T sauce over the meatballs. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, enjoy!
- 5 meatballs = 1 Red, 1/4-1/2 yellow, 1/2 spoon. Use 2T of the sauce and count as a condiment.