My house smells like an Italian kitchen and there was no pasta to be had in our house tonight! I made this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Bake which is also 21 Day Fix approved and super healthy! My kids BOTH enjoyed their meals and Basili (my husband who despises squash) loved it too.
Spaghetti squash is an excellent source of Fiber, vitamin C and the mineral Manganese which helps with your metabolism and regulation of blood sugar, among other benefits. Find out more about the health benefits of spaghetti squash. You can find spaghetti squash at your local grocery store. There are several ways to prepare spaghetti squash, here is a quick video I created on how I prepare spaghetti squash for my family.
Once the spaghetti squash is prepped, the meat and veggie mixture is browned and the cheeses are measured out, you are ready to layer your Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Bake!
Sprinkle cheese evenly over top and add some parsley, to taste for a little extra flavor and garnish.
When you remove the bake from the oven, let it set for about 5 minutes. Cut it into 6 equal servings and enjoy!
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced (about 1 medium)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 (14oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups spaghetti squash, cooked and scraped (about 1 medium)
- 8 oz part skim Ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place face down in a microwave safe dish with a small amount of water and microwave about 12-14 minutes or until fork tender.
- Spray a 12" skillet with a light coating of olive oil, saute the onions, garlic and zucchini on medium high heat, add the ground beef (or turkey) and break it up as it browns. Add Italian seasoning and oregano.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes
- In a 9x13 pan, layer half of the following: spaghetti squash, meat and tomato mixture, ricotta and mozzarella cheese, repeat. Top with Parmesan and sprinkle with parsley.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted, uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes until bubbly.
- 1/6th of the 9x13 pan= 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Blue
- **Technically, it would be 1 1/6 green, but seriously, just count as 1 green 🙂
- Tip - Spinach would be delicious in this too!