It’s almost Fall and that means EVERYTHING must have pumpkin! Well, maybe not everything, but this certainly was delicious! When I told Basili was I was making for dinner, he had his doubts for sure – he was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this chili! I prepped the chili during Noah’s nap time when Zach was at school earlier this week. By the time we returned home from running out for some errands, the house smelled amazing! I just love my slow cooker – little effort is required and the meals are always amazing! (fewer dishes to clean, too!)
Brown your turkey, chop your veggies, open a few cans – dump into slow cooker. Stir, cover and set to low. Boom. Dinner is cooking and you are free to go about the rest of your day! I served this topped with a dollop of Plain Greek Yogurt (Fage brand), shredded cheese and some green onions.
I am SO excited to share my Slow Cooked Pumpkin Turkey Chili with you – I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Pro Tip – You can let it cook longer than 5-6 hours AND it is even better the next day – there were plenty of left overs for lunch and it was delicious!
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4oz) can chopped green chilis (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lbs ground turkey
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15oz) can pure pumpkin puree
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans (or your fave), drained and rinsed
- ½ - 1 cup water
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Red Pepper flakes, to taste (optional if you like it hot!!)
- In a skillet, brown the turkey until cooked through, breaking it into smaller pieces.
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve topped with some plain Greek yogurt, green onions or shredded cheese.
- 1 Red, 1 Green, 1/3 Purple, 1/3 Yellow,1 blue (if you add cheese)
- Serving size, 1 1/2 cups