GREEK WEEK: DAY 5
This recipe was the BOMB.COM I am telling you what – it has been a long time since I made risotto and I am pretty sure I messed it up the last time because THIS time it was amazing! The blend of FLAVORS – the creamy, melt in your mouth risotto, coupled with the slight crunch of the asparagus was fantastic. It was SO easy and really made our home smell like a Greek kitchen. Basili kept telling me he hadn’t smelled that in YEARS. I looked over at him and he was just inhaling all of the delicious smells coming from the stove top. It was the DILL. My mother in law used a lot of Dill when we were there – she adds it to her Tzadziki and that is what I remember most. DE-LISH.
I probably would not have this exact recipe while doing the Fix. I did some research on what Arborio rice and it is very starchy. It requires 4 cups of liquid for 1 cup of dry rice for cooking. Brown rice is a 1 to 1 water to rice ratio. SO, that said, if you are doing the 21 Day Fix and are dying to try this, sub out the Arborio rice and add in brown rice. Reduce the amount of broth and eliminate the water.
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T dried dill
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lb bag frozen shrimp, pre-cooked, deshelled & de-tailed
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Feta cheese, for serving
- In medium sauce pan, bring broth & water to a simmer and keep warm on low heat.
- Heat oil in 12" skillet over medium high heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes until tender. Stir in rice & garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add dill & oregano
- Add broth mixture about 1 cup at a time until the broth is absorbed. Keep doing this until the broth is gone. Stir occasionally. (about 15-20 minutes for rice to cook and absorb the broth)
- Stir in asparagus & shrimp. Cook 5 minutes until shrimp are heated through and asparagus are fork tender.
- Add lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Remove from heat, plate and top with Feta cheese.