Comfort food at its finest! It was a cold, rainy day and my Rustic Turkey & Veggie Soup was the ticket for dinner tonight! BOY did it hit the spot! We really enjoyed this soup – the hearty and robust flavors were satisfying. The first time I made this Rustic Turkey & Veggie Soup, I had it simmering for about 5 hours but this time, I cooked everything in the soup pot, brought it to a boil and then let it simmer about 30 minutes before serving.
It was nice to have a delicious soup that was SO EASY! Everything goes into one pot – no muss, no fuss, right? I hate cleaning pots and pans, so these one pan/pot meals are awesome! I browned the turkey first with all of the seasonings. While the meat was browning, I chopped up the veggies and added them in and cooked for about 5 more minutes before adding the liquid ingredients to the soup pot.
I brought everything to a boil, stirring frequently and then turned it down to simmer until my husband got home from work – about 30 minutes or so. OH, and I added some red wine in this time, you know, for fun. 🙂 It smelled amazing and was VERY tasty!
Toward the end of simmering, I added a large handful of spinach to the pot and let it cook down stirring until wilted.
Serve this soup topped with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy!!
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional, but amazing!)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, brown turkey over medium high heat. Break it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with sea salt, black pepper, basil and oregano.
- When meat is cooked through, add onion, yellow pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, broth, water and cilantro.
- Cover and simmer over medium low until veggies are soft and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in spinach before serving, stir until wilted.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- 2 Green, 1 Red - serving size, 2 cups - top with 1/2 blue shredded Parmesan
We tried this tonight and it was FANTASTIC!! Even the kids loved it! I added a little more spinach and they didn’t even notice. Thanks for making dinner tonight a success! Definitely a keeper!
Thank you Lindsey! I am so happy your family enjoyed it and YAY for the kids eating veggies!! That is always a WIN! 🙂 xoxo
This was easy and delicious! I will be doubling the recipe next time and making it in a crock pot!
YUM! What a great idea! 🙂
How many servings in this recipe? Thanks!
It makes a LOT – I put 4 servings on there, but I would go with about a cup and a half per serving – that is what I have done. 🙂
roughly how many servings did this make?
On my blog, I said 4. I think my serving size for this was 1 1/2 cups per serving! 🙂 Enjoy!
I was just wondering if all the ingredients took out that earthy taste ground turkey usually gives? I am not a big fan of the taste
Hi Kim! If you don’t like turkey, you could do ground chicken or ground beef. 🙂 I bet either of those would be delicious.
Yikes I dont see the actual recipe! I remember seeing an ingredient list but now I dont even see that!
Hi! It is there – try refreshing your cache? If you still aren’t seeing it – email me – email@example.com!
Any tips for making this in a crockpot ? I am a pharmacy student & my evenings run soooooo much smoother when I can come home to a meal that is ready or doesn’t take much prep.
Yeah! I would brown the meat first and then throw everything into the slow cooker and set to low. 🙂
This was so good a filling! I made some up and froze it for lunches! I just had some and it hit the spot. Can’t wait to make another recipe! Blueberry Baked Oatmeal cups tonight! 😉
Made this tonight and it was amazing! So flavorful and hearty! I didn’t miss potatoes or pasta at all! Though I might throw the leftovers over some brown rice tomorrow!
I am so happy you loved it! 🙂
I just made this and I’m so excited to try it! Have you ever figured out how many calories are in a serving?
I hope you enjoyed it!
I made this the other night and added some cheddar cheese and it was delicious! I can’t wait to try it with the wine!!
This was on menu plan for three days ago, but I’ve been so sick I haven’t really cooked/eaten much. Glad that I am finally up for cooking and so glad that this is the first real meal I get to have. I love this soup!
Love that! So happy you enjoyed them!