Comfort food at its finest! It was a cold, rainy day and my Rustic Turkey & Veggie Soup was the ticket for dinner tonight! BOY did it hit the spot! We really enjoyed this soup – the hearty and robust flavors were satisfying. The first time I made this Rustic Turkey & Veggie Soup, I had it simmering for about 5 hours but this time, I cooked everything in the soup pot, brought it to a boil and then let it simmer about 30 minutes before serving.
It was nice to have a delicious soup that was SO EASY! Everything goes into one pot – no muss, no fuss, right? I hate cleaning pots and pans, so these one pan/pot meals are awesome! I browned the turkey first with all of the seasonings. While the meat was browning, I chopped up the veggies and added them in and cooked for about 5 more minutes before adding the liquid ingredients to the soup pot.
I brought everything to a boil, stirring frequently and then turned it down to simmer until my husband got home from work – about 30 minutes or so. OH, and I added some red wine in this time, you know, for fun. 🙂 It smelled amazing and was VERY tasty!
Toward the end of simmering, I added a large handful of spinach to the pot and let it cook down stirring until wilted.
Serve this soup topped with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy!!
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional, but amazing!)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, brown turkey over medium high heat. Break it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with sea salt, black pepper, basil and oregano.
- When meat is cooked through, add onion, yellow pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, broth, water and cilantro.
- Cover and simmer over medium low until veggies are soft and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in spinach before serving, stir until wilted.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- 2 Green, 1 Red - serving size, 2 cups - top with 1/2 blue shredded Parmesan