Let me start by saying WOW. WOW WOW WOW! I just LOVE FALL and everything about the foods that come along with the season! Soups, game day chili, slow cooker meals, roasts and everything pumpkin! Squash is something I have been cooking with for only a couple of years now and I just LOVE it. It is NOT one of Basili’s favorite foods, but there are certain things he WILL eat and this soup was one of them. He tried it and told me it had a great flavor and that it was very good! I will consider that a ‘win’ in the husband department. ANYWAY, this will be on my Thanksgiving table this year. Not only is it delicious, but the rich golden color of the soup makes it a beautiful dish! Aesthetically pleasing foods are some of the best foods!
My Harvest Squash Soup is 21 Day Fix approved, of course! If you have ever gone to Panera and had their squash soup, this tastes VERY similar to theirs – which was my goal because I LOVE IT!!!
The most difficult part of this recipe was cubing that butternut squash. I poked holes in it and stuck it in the microwave in a dish with water for a few minutes so the skin would soften, not sure if that helped or not. I peeled the skin with a vegetable peeler, scraped out the seeds and cubed it up! The other thing I did to make this SUPER simple (and if you don’t have one of these, I HIGHLY recommend getting one! They are fairly inexpensive too!) is I used my Smart Stick immersion blender right in my soup pot!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and I would love to see your photos!! Enjoy!
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow onion, small
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 (15oz) can pure pumpkin
- 3 1/4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 T raw honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pumpkin seeds, shelled (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Peel, seed and cube the butternut squash and chop onion - place squash and onion into a large bowl with olive oil, sea salt & pepper (to taste), and toss until coated.
- Roast squash and onions on a large pan for 20 minutes, until tender
- Puree in a blender/food processor OR place roasted squash/onion mix into the soup pot with pumpkin, broth, milk & applesauce and use an immersion blender.
- Bring to a low boil
- Add spices & honey. Simmer for at least 10 minutes
- Serve topped with some pumpkin seeds.
- 1 1/2 cups = 1 Green