These Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cookies are my absolute go-to now when I want something sweet without the guilt! As always, everything in moderation! Here is the back story on these cookies. I have tried A LOT (repeat, A LOT) of recipes for no-sugar added cookies or treats and they were all major flops at our house. I was determined to find something we could all enjoy, even my sugar-addicted husband. This is why you don’t see a lot of sweets on my blog! 🙂 BUT – I love a challenge!
We had some bananas that were headed to the trash if I didn’t find something to use them for, so I found a recipe that sounded promising and made a few tweaks. I also baked them longer than called for to make them a little crispy on top and BOOM! We have a winner! My 2 and 4 year old both LOVE these cookies and Basili has given his seal of approval as well!
ALSO?! If you are looking for a fun activity to do with your littles – this is one recipe my kids LOVE to help me with! I have them peel and mash up the bananas for me, dump the ingredients and mix! They are also the official spoon lickers and taste testers…so what I am saying is that I am the assistant and they enjoy doing the work! 🙂
These cookies will be good for a couple days, but freeze any additional cookies to eat later! 🙂 (I seem to have a cookie mouse at my house and they aren’t around long enough to need to freeze them…ahem…Basili…ahem) 🙂
Check out the look on Zach’s face! hahah He loves these!
- 1 cup instant oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 T coconut oil (or unsalted butter, melted)
- 1 medium mashed banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 T Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk together oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil or butter, mashed banana, and vanilla. Stir in the syrup. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips
- Scoop out 15 rounded spoonfuls onto the parchment lined sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 325°F for 13-15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes.
- 1 cookie = 1 yellow treat swap