I LOVE a good Italian meal but the heaviness of the traditional Italian cooking doesn’t exactly work with a clean diet (most of the time!). My Chicken Parmesan is all cleaned up and let me tell you, it was light and full of flavor!! This was also a very simple recipe and didn’t take long at all to prep and throw in the oven!
I served the chicken Parmesan over a bed of Zoodles (which I made for the first time!!) and it was amazing! Even my pasta and carb loving husband loved them! I lightly sauteed them with a spray of olive oil for just a few minutes. I tried boiling them, and…well, I ended up with zucchini soup! (That was a fail.) Zoodles are Zucchini noodles – I made them with a Veggetti. There are lots of tools out there that are great for this and I am sure I will be checking them out down the road because this is going to be a staple tool in my kitchen.
My husband and kids all loved the Chicken Parmesan (and the zoodles!) – I added some extra marinara sauce with the zoodles, too. Absolutely delicious and it made some yummy leftovers for lunch the next day! Something else that is SUPER exciting? My photo of the plated dish was featured on this weeks Meal Prep Monday post on the Beachbody Blog! There are always delicious recipes featured here – be sure to check them out! 🙂
- 1 pound chicken breasts, thin sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used Italian whole wheat Panko)
- 10 T Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 8 T marinara sauce, no sugar added or use my recipe below
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Break 2 egg whites into shallow dish
- In a second shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and black pepper
- Coat each side of the chicken breasts in egg whites and then coat with bread crumb mixture, place each chicken breast in a baking dish
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, flip and bake for 5-7 more minutes. Top with 2T marinara sauce and 2T Parmesan a bake until bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- 1 Red, 1/2 Blue, 1/4 Yellow, 1/8 Green (Marinara - but I served this with Zoodles, so just measure out the zoodles in your green container and call it a day, add accordingly if you increase the amount of marinara you use.)